+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1959 Skyliner Tire Size

1959 Skyliner Tire Size

I seem to get conflicting reports from different folks as to the original tire size that came on 59 retractables. I had thought they were 8.00 x 14" but a decent number of folks tell me they came with 7.50x14. Can someone provide a clear answer to this debate?

Oh my. Where is your 59 Ford shop manual? The tire size may even be in the owners manual. In time, you will get to know almost every nut an bolt. Every time your Skyliner hiccups, you'll know why
    and how to fix it. The tire size is 800x14. However, consider radials. I think I bought 215-75x14. They're stacked in the garage on restored rims...I may have forgotten the correct size. I don't mean to be rude.

I agree, I thought the literature indicated 800x14 but several guys told me they had 7.50x14 and they spoke as if they knew what they were talking about. Just enough to make me doubt myself. Thanks for confirming the size.

1959 Accessory price list says:

Code:
    OPTIONAL TIRE PRICES

The following Ford cars have (5) 8.00 x 14 4-ply BSW tubeless tires as standard:
    1) Cars equipped with 8-cylinder, automatic transmission and air conditioner.
    2) 8-cylinder Sunliner with automatic transmission.
    3) Skyliner
    4) 9-passenger station wagons.

Extra charge for (5) 8.00 x 14 4-ply WSW $35.70

All other cars have (5) 7.50 x 14 4-ply BSW tubeless tires as standard equipment.

You are learning who your friends are real quick. Buy the reference books where and when they are such-a-deal.

+ Reply to Thread