+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 57 Skyliner 312, Coolant runs out of overflow tube

57 Skyliner 312, Coolant runs out of overflow tube

When I park my car after driving coolant runs out of the overflow tube. I drained the system, refilled with Prestone radiator flush, ran it for 60 minutes with the heater on, drained and flushed again with water and refilled with anti-freeze and distilled water. Still happens. The temp gauge reads normal and it doesn't smell or sound like it's overheating.
    I'm stumped....any suggestions? Thanks!

Thant is what it supposed to do if there is too much coolant in the radiator. You should add a coolant recovery system to keep it from overflowing onto the ground, it just takes a recovery style cap and overflow tank which can be purchased at most auto stores.

That's what I thought initially but I don't want to add a recovery tank since it's not original. I just drained some of the coolant and will adjust the level until it doesn,t overflow. Thanks!

Keeping things original doesn't always make good since, I have 15 old Fords and I keep them mostly original but for safety and reliability I do change things.
    I always convert the ignition system from points to Pertronix electronic ignition, I always go with a dual master cylinder for safer braking, I add a recovery system for the radiator as it helps with the cooling as the radiator always starts off full and a electric fuel pump because ethanol like to eat up the mechanical pumps and also helps to prevent vapor locking.
    I do nothing that can not be easily reversed, if you need to keep your car original for judging purposes that's one thing but doing it just because it came that way is not always the best way to go.

+ Reply to Thread