+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Introduction (sort of) - 59 drug out

Introduction (sort of) - 59 drug out

Hello to all.
    I got tired of looking at this thing sitting under a tarp in the yard and decided it might be next. Actually, I wondered if the top would work. This is my first 50's Ford. 40's and back, 60 and newer, but never a 50's. And certainly never a retractable.
    This car was dropped of by my dad, who said he'd buy it if the guy found the title. We'll he found the title and here it sits. Came with lots of extra parts and much needed patch panels.
    It does not run. Two cylinders @>115psi., the other's are 35 or less. Leak down reveals head gaskets to start with. 30deg timing chain slop doesn't help. So I moved on to see if the top worked. After propping the deck lid open with a 2x2 to get the deck open switch activated (rusted lift arm mounts), a little PB blaster here and there, and prying on the front header, it popped loose and up it went. Didn't go all the way because of the 2x2, but it dropped back down and locked in.

That said. I'm afraid I may be hooked on this car. It is way cool!

The car is very rusty. This is a picture of the bad side, but not by a whole lot. The trunk sides and drop offs (Mustang slang?) are gone. As mentioned, the deck lift jack mounts are no longer part of the car. And the left rear inner wheel house is gone.

Now, I can buy or fabricate most of what I need as far as rust repair. My big concern is the inner wheel house. Does anyone know if there is something that is available that I can start with? Any other years/models interchange with or without mods?

Also, I obviously have no idea where the rusted parts go for the deck lift, or even what they should look like. And the trunk floor sides is another ?.

Found some good pictures posted by "Ford Only"?, but need to find some detailed pictures and/or measurements. Better yet, if anyone has a car in a state that would allow inspection in or near SE MI, that would be awesome.

Any advice is appreciated. Trying to find info on these on the internet is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Unless you're looking for completed show cars.

Thanks, Tim
    Attached Images

I think you would be better off looking for something with less rust and use this one for parts.

I agree. The cost to restore it far exceeds the value of it when it is completed. The owner of a Skyliner must have a certain attachment to it.
    It's just not nuts & bolts.

+ Reply to Thread