+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine miss

Engine miss

1957 Skyliner, 292, two speed transmission, completely rebuilt within the last 5 years. Miles on rebuild maybe 800.

Currently on a 2400 mile road trip. I’m in at 1,400 miles and the engine has developed a misfire and loss of power. She runs, idles and I can drive but there’s a definite miss throughout the rpm range. I’m on the road with some tools but not much for testing equipment. I pulled the plug wires one at a time and the engine rpm did drop when I pulled each one individually. So I’m thinking I have spark to all cylinders. This issue came up suddenly today. I did have to run in the rain but I’ve done that before on this trip. At dark I’ll go look under the hood to see if any plug wires are shorting out. Could some bad gas cause a miss? I have to stop for gas 1-2 times a day for the last 5 days.

One thing I noticed the last few days was on cold startup. She normally fires right up with one gas peddle push but she has been starting like she is flooded, runs rough for 30-60 seconds and then smoothes out? After an hour long lunch today, she started this way and never smoothed out?

I did some reading on y block forums and did not find a similar situation. Not one that had a solution anyway,

Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this miss would be appreciated?

Will it hurt to run the engine this way? I’ve got a ways to go ��

Thank you
    Scott
    Last edited by Scott Torvinen; 1 Hour Ago at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added car info

+ Reply to Thread