+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New guy with a 59 Skyliner

New guy with a 59 Skyliner

Hello, I just found this site and may ask some dumb questions, so please bear with me.
    I bought a 59 Skyliner in 2013 and I'm ready to start on it. I just finished up a 1931 Ford Model A Coupe 60's style hotrod. I remember the beautiful black 57 Skyliner that my Mom and Stepdad had when new.
    Attached Images

don on the top edge of the deck lift screw jacks is a opening For you to squirt 6 or 7 squirts of 30W motor oil into . This Quiets the deck moving a great deal .
    at top Of roof lift jacks , do the same , only alittle more oil . add oil catch rags at bottoms of jacks ,..
    Oil the roof hinge points with motorcycle chain lube , that is real thin till it dries to a Grease .
    grease rear roof glide track and pins with wax oil stick .
    light coat of petroleum jelly on roof lock post .
    Once This is Done Don , your Roof Will Really Free up . you will need to "coast the roof " and let off retract dash switch while the roof is 16" away from the rear
    glide track . Then pull To Flop It down .
    Same way on roof Erect . let it glide to the windshield then lock .
    Big bonus here is , The current flow to run the Top drops by 10%
    If the roof Jacks Have never been greased . Lift one out at a time , or mark em right and left .
    add a large amount of STP to the jack gear boxes . If no paper gasket is there on cover .(make one) . before removing cover "mark them For Clock position.
    With Both jacks In car Floor and bolted up . grease roof cables and screw motor ends of cables first But don't tighten them yet .
    Next Spin Both Cables With fingers forward OR backward but both the same . ,hold with small needle nose and plug one in to jack . and snug that side up.
    Do the other side same way . Now Your sky will Lift Even from the windscreen .
    Enjoy .
    Last edited by silverbird58; 04-09-2018 at 07:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread