+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Black Insulation - package tray

Black Insulation - package tray

I need to replace the black insulation paper in my package tray due to a painting mistake by my painter. Is there a place or supplier for this material?

That insulation was painted when the car was built but the paint would soak into the tar based insulation and it would look as though it was not painted, rather than trying to replace the insulation you could paint it with flat black paint and that should give you the look you want.

Thanks

The problem is that the painter taped over it, painted and then when I got it back and took the tape off it pulled the face of the insulation off with the tape. Thanks for the idea however. Not sure what to do if this material is no longer available anywhere. Wonder where a restorer would get this material?

You could use heavy roofing felt (tar paper) and glue it in, with a little effort you could probably get it to slide under the braces to make it look like the original which was sandwiched between the inner bracing and outer skin when the two pieces were mated together at the factory.

Thanks - willing to try anything at this point

Lyle Hutchins Jr. has the material you need and will send it to you pre-cut for the package tray. Its VERY close to what was used originally. You can find him or his Dad in the roster.

Thanks - I will contact him - appreciate the help !!

As an extra tidbit of information, Lyle Hutchins also sells the headliner panels for 59 Skyliners with the cardboard panels and headliner material already attached. Ready to install!

+ Reply to Thread