+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for advice~still have problem with car top

Looking for advice~still have problem with car top

Last fall I posted my top front roof lock motor power issue to this forum. In the one response I received it was noted that since the functioning rear roof lock assembly works on the same circuit as the front lock motor the problem was probably in the top wiring harness, I decided to bite the bullet and purchased and have now connected a new wiring harness only to find out I still cannot get power at the front roof lock motor. I have checked the motor which works fine, checked the top circuit breaker for continuity (fine),*checked the front lock assembly switches for correct setting and continuity, and then again reset and checked all the remaining top, tray, and deck lid switches for correct setting and continuity. I also attached extra lock nuts (front assembly) and extra lock screws (rear) and closed*the roof position*A switch and then jumped the top unlock solenoid and again I have no power at the front roof lock motor.*
    The person who I purchased the car from appears to have wired the actuator switch to bypass the neutral switch. The top worked using this configuration when I purchased the car and before I started this restoration. I have not messed with that issue as I am not sure what wiring steps need to be taken to correct that issue, however, since I am bypassing that switch and only* jumping the top lock and unlock solenoids I assume the actuator switch issue should not come into play at all - correct?
    I am past frustration and now just perplexed as to why with a new wiring harness and being certain that all switches and circuit breakers are functioning as they should why the rear roof lock motors function, but I can;t get power to the front roof lock motor.*
    Anyone with another option or solution to solve his perplexing issue before I take on the next frustration of the neutral/actuator switch issue. Feel free to contact me directly if you have a suggestion, by phone or email. Thank you!

Chuck Pursell
    (608) 712-2306
    burse59@gmail.com

Roof Lock Motor

Hello Chuck,
    I can certainly understand your frustration after all that diagnostic work. You indicated that you have checked continuity on the lock limit switches but if you are jumping the roof lock solenoid, those switches would not be in play since they are actuating only the control circuit to the roof lock solenoid. The front roof lock power circuit should be a red/yellow wire according to the wiring diagram, so I would check continuity in that circuit from the roof lock solenoid to the motor. You indicated that there was no power at the motor. Did you check voltage there or just assume no power since the motor did not turn. Also, there is a possibility that the ground circuit is faulty. You might check for ground continuity from the motor to a known good ground.

As for the neutral safety switch, it should have no effect on what you were trying to troubleshoot since you were jumping directly at the roof lock solenoid. It probably is a good idea to put that switch back into the circuit just so nothing happens while you are moving the car. On my car, I changed the switch to be activated while in park rather than neutral (easy to do by rotating the switch clamp on the steering shaft housing).

Good Luck,
    Dave

Thanks for the extra tips Dave - I will follow up as indicated with motor and ground continuity checks - fingers crossed

+ Reply to Thread