+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Windshield Header Lock Nut Adjustment

Windshield Header Lock Nut Adjustment

I discovered that my front roof locks were not reaching the ratchet depth and thus the motor stalled while still receiving power. I believe this is very bad for the motor. So I adjusted the receiver nuts to get them working properly. I made the adjusting tool as follows. I took a deep socket with the same outside diameter as the locknut, modified two jig saw blades to fit into the nut grooves and secured them to the socket with two gear clamps. I thought this information may be helpful.

Hi, thanks for sharing. I cannot imagine how this tool’s looking and how it will work. Can you please share a photo or more detailed description?

Thanks.

I am attempting to attach a photo.
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (25.3 KB, 6 views)

This is the photo of my homemade tool.

Ok I don't Know how to get the system to display the photo. If you right click on the attachment and click on "display in a new window" you can see the photo. I give up because that is not working now either!

I can see the picture. Thank you very much! But I don’t understand how to adjust the front roof locks with that. I’m new to retractables and would appreciate if you could tell me how to do that, because I experience problems on the front locks of my Fairlane, which I bought a couple of months ago.

If you are able to retract the roof some, you will see a locking nut assembly set in on each side of the windshield header. On the outside edge of each, there is a small machine screw which takes an Allen key. Turning it counter clockwise releases the lock on the nut mechanism and then it can be turned with that tool. The two prongs that you see project down into two slots on the nut assembly. Turning the nut counter clockwise will raise them and clockwise will lower them. I used some fluid film on those threads to free up te nut.

Thanks fir the explanation. I now understand how to handle the tool.

+ Reply to Thread