+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radiator Size and Number of Rows - What to get?

Radiator Size and Number of Rows - What to get?

Hi,
    I am looking to replace my radiator in my 1959 with a 352 Engine.

I am trying to determine if I should get a 3 row or 4 row radiator and there are a couple of different models of each(Heavy Duty, High Efficiency & Optima).

I am a little worried about clearance with the fan but I want it to have better cooling than what came with the car.

Thanks for the help.

I have a 4 row heavy duty on both of my 59's. I believe the more coolant capacity the better. With the a/c on the gauge rarely goes above half. You are correct about the fan clearance, it is about 5/8 inch. Hope this helps.

Thanks - I appreciate it.

Radiator and Coolant Level

I also have a 59 Skyliner equipped with a 4 core radiator. Driving it in parades has in the past always been a problem due to overheating and radiator boil and resultant loss of coolant. A couple years ago I installed an after market thermostatically controlled radiator fan mounted in front of the radiator. It helps, but still gets too hot during the slow crawl in a parade. This year I installed a "Billet" after market coolant recovery tank. I had to manufacture some brackets in order to mount it on the inside of the left fender directly behind the horns. Used tubing from the hardware store to connect it to the radiator overflow tube, and 'Viola" no more coolant loss. I drove it in this year's 4th of July parade, and the engine did not overheat.

Gary

Gary
    Do you have any pictures of your modification.I need to do something with my 59 352 but am unsure which way to go.

+ Reply to Thread