+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Master cylinder, power brakes

Master cylinder, power brakes

Who sells....what manufacture stocks, 1 1/8" master cylinder for 59 Galaxies
    with power brakes?

Hi John,
    I purchased a Booster/Master Combo Kit p/n BM15102-2 for my 59 Skyliner from Master Power Brakes. Their number is 800.472.4181 and they are easily found on the web.
    My car had manual brakes and the master cylinder needed replacing. I have no idea if you can get the part you need but these folks produce quality products. I was going to put disk front brakes on my car but my helper/mechanic had dealt with these folks when he was chief parts person for a NASCAR team. My brakes work fantastic and I don't need the disk conversion. LEt me know how you make out. Cheers.
    Dave

I have not found a source for the correct 1-1/8" power brake master cylinder. However, the 1" manual brake master cylinder can be bored to the 1-1/8" size. If anyone on here has a recommendation for a company who can bore/sleeve master cylinders, it would be nice to have. I am going to have someone bore a master cylinder for me as well.
    John, I am currently using the 1" bore master cylinder on my 59 and it does a good job of braking. As is typical, the pedal travels farther than I would prefer. Can someone chime in with their experience between the two bore sizes? Theoretically it seems that the larger bore would require less pedal travel but more pedal pressure and the smaller bore would require farther pedal travel but less pedal pressure.

+ Reply to Thread