+ Reply to Thread

Thread: my roof

my roof

I have a 59 Skyliner that roof goes up perfectly, however will not go past mid point to rest in trunk. Both jack screws goes completely to close but roof doesn't move.
    I have adjusted and did about all i know to do.
    Any suggestions would be great

Edwin Justice

Austin Texas

edwin.justice@me.com

512-632-7241

Hello Edwin,

It sounds like the roof is stalling out at about the point where the rear control link guide pin should be engaging with the slide in the guide (near the rear of the trunk). This guide pin has to enter the slide area and then travel straight back which also compresses the control link assist spring. If the guide pins are hanging up on either side where they enter the slides, it could stall out the roof at that location. Another possibility could be the control link assist springs that compress when the guide pins enter the slides on both sides. If one of the springs is stuck and won't compress, it could have the same effect.

I don't have my car at home now (stored at a rental garage for the winter) so I can't confirm but I do know that last spring I was working on detailing up the trunk area and I left a screwdriver laying where it got under one of the control link assist springs. Those springs move in a slight arc downward when the roof is nearing the end of its travel in the retract mode and that screwdriver wedging under the assist spring tube was enough to stall out the jack screw motor (really had me guessing for a while).

If you can having someone work the control and then watch to see if those guide links are hanging up or if the assist springs are stuck, it might give you a clue. I do believe your jack screw motor is stalling at the point where the roof stops, but it looks like the screws are at the end of their travel because they don't have very much farther to go when the roof is nearing the storage position.

Good luck
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread