+ Reply to Thread

Thread: side script

side script

I have a 1957 Slyliner... the side roof name plates where the gold skyliner logo is displayed is blank and it has no evidence of holes for the missing script. My question is this did they make some that were missing the gold script/ Blank? or has the original ones been replaced with ones off a 1957 2 door hardtop. The car was manufactured in Kansas city in April 1957
    Last edited by jhubbell; 02-20-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: missed an important word

The very early production cars were built without the script. Apparently ford wanted to get the cars into production and the scripts were not yet available, so they were simply left off.
    Bill

Thanks Bill, I must have an early one as there is no evidence that the script was ever there.... of course they may not be the original ones so now the questions is do I add or leave as is?

A non-script car has a certain cachet in that it identifies the car as being an early production vehicle. I would leave it as is.
    Harry W
    (Penn Allegheny, East Coast, Buckeye Chapters)
    It's a dry heat!

Scripts are a funny thing. My 58 does not have the Fairlane script on the nose. This picture is from the day it was pulled from storage and I purchased it. Note it was last licensed in 1973.
    Attached Images

mine is missing the front script as well but looks like it originally had it as there are holes there that have been filled in. before it was repainted, i assume

any idea when production started on the 57 retractable and when side script became available?

According to Ben J. Smith's book, the retractable started production in January, also noting that Ford asked permission to use the Skyliner name on March 11, 1957. I would imagine the scripts came to be shortly after that date.

Gary.

Our Skyliner with production code 17D (should be April 17) also does not have the Skyliner script on the C-pillar. The code is D7KW143907. Gary, I will not dispute the information from the book, nevertheless I read somewhere (in a forum on the Internet, but cannot remember anymore where) that the production started in March 57. That would make sense if they did not have the complete parts in April.... Does anybody have more detailed information on that topic?

+ Reply to Thread