I have a 59 Skyliner that had been off the road for over 12 years when I purchased it last February. Needless to say I have encountered many problems due to the car not being used for such a long time. The problem I am dealing with now is the fact that I have virtually no braking power and I have replaced all the wheel cylinders, hoses and brake shoes. The car does have the power brake booster and I removed the master cylinder today and besides being full of crud I find that it is a 1" bore master cylinder which I believe is incorrect for the power brakes. It is my understanding that the power brakes required a master cylinder with a 1 1/8" bore. I recall reading somewhere that the push rod was also a different length but I am unable to locate where I found that information. Can someone know the correct length of the push rod for the different master cylinders. I had a feeling that perhaps someone had replaced the master cylinder at some time not realizing there was a difference. I cannot find any source for a replacement master cylinder with the larger bore - is it possible to remove the power brake booster and use the standard master cylinder? Thanks for any help.
Harold