+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need help!

I need help!

I have a problem with my speedometer; I need to remove my instrument cluster. I spent a half hour with out any results; I removed the panel above the steering column and the screws above the speedometer. I also found two nuts behind the cluster, is there some more that I have missed. Hope someone can give some tip to remove the cluster. (1958)

Lars
    Last edited by Lars-57; 04-16-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Removal of Speedometer:

Hi Lars: I took one out of a part's car & It's a lot of fun...I think what you should do is sell that thing??? (To Me) Good luck Gregg...

Lars,
    there is a bracket near the top that holds the wiring harness. It may need to be bent down and/or the harness unclipped. The speedometer cable must be dis-connected. Follow the cable up from where it enters the floorboard, then back off the retaining nut that holds the cable to the cluster. With all this done, the cluster should pull out. Sometimes with a padded dash, you will have to pull the cluster down/away from the pad, then out. I hope this helps.
    Bill

Lars
    I dont know how to remove the speedometer on the 1958 but if you check this web site they have 1958 manual you can view and maybe that could guide you?
    http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...ice/index.html
    Jim

Lars,

Here's a picture I took of my instrument cluster before removing it a few years ago. On my '57 there are nuts to the outside of the temperature gauge and gas gauge that also must be removed.

RetractableDashStud.jpg

Jeff

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the help, the mayor miss I did was the two nuts near the speedometer (se pick).

And as Bill said the brackets caused a lot of problem, much easier when removed; now I had fixed the speedometer. The speedometer was stuck, but a little oil it seems to work again, I had to replace the wire also. This weekend I will take it out of the barn for the first cruise this year, it hasn’t been so good whether yet here in Sweden. There it’s on the place again, hope it works.

And Gregg,,, it’s not for sale,,

If the problem is the needle hopping it could be the speedo cable core.
    Good luck,
    Ron B.

+ Reply to Thread