+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about a top part in trunk

Question about a top part in trunk

I'm waiting for my full maintenance manual from the club to arrive, so please have patience with me.

I'm operating the top by putting power on the motor in the bottom of the tire well. The trunk lid has been removed. When the top is up and being lowered, it works great until it is getting tucked into the compartment. When the rear of the top bottoms out and the front starts to go down into the well, it needs some help. This is when the two cylinders are being compressed. When raising the top, it jumps right up and starts raising.

I don't know what is in the cylinders. I would guess a compression spring, but can not see inside. If it is a spring, I'm surprised it has trouble compressing since springs get weak not stronger. What is the fix??

Thanks guys.
    Dave

I found an apparently authentic Ford Shop Maintenance Manual in pdf form on the InterWeb for free (www.squarebirds.org). It is complete with Group 14 Section 3 on the Retractable Hardtop. With this information, I've confirmed the silver canisters contain compression springs. It would appear, I have an alignment problem. I notice the bottom ends of the "control link assist spring" have been repaired with a lot of sparrow s#it welding. I'll check into this and the alignment of the "roof control link guide". I guess disconnecting the lift jack at the top would let me exercise the top to check and adjust this. I''ll keep you posted to help others.
    Last edited by Ddave; 07-28-2016 at 07:46 AM.
    Dave

I have a related question, if I unbolt the control link from the bottom of the package tray (the bolts located under the rear glass/package tray area) is there spring tension from the control link assist spring? If so, what's the easiest way to relieve that tension to I can work on my rusty package tray?

I would remove the springs, they are not hard to remove, just remove the cotter keys and use a pry bar and or a big screw driver to push the spring foreword a little and they should pop out.
    When you go to reinstall them you can compress them with a pipe clamp then put several heavy duty cable ties or wire to hold them compressed while you install.
    I would not try to remove the link from the top with them connected.

Ford Only - I appreciate that information. I'll let the forum know when I get the problem solved.
    Thank you very much
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread