+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power Steering

Power Steering

Lost all power assist in both directions. Belt is properly adjusted and reservoir is full.
    I drained it down and the pump seems to be doing its job as the fluid is flowing.
    Any ideas, tips?

I have never had that problem but if your pump is good it has to be something going on with the control valve on the steering linkage.
    There is one thing you can check on the control valve and that is to take the front cover off and see if the spring is broke on the stud that is under the cover, if that is broke it won't allow enough travel to engage the ball stud to move the valve spool.
    If the spring is good you will need to rebuild or replace the control valve.
    Last edited by Ford Only; 07-26-2016 at 09:00 AM. Reason: forgot something

Anyone out there have a power steering control valve? Dead or alive...I'm looking for one that I can either bolt right onto the car or a good rebuildable core. I have a '58 but I think '57 and '58 are the same.

If your looking to get your steering rebuilt you can't beat his prices or turn around time.
    He has rebuilt many of my power steering links, I just send him the whole steering linkage with the valve, hoses, and cylinder, they come back looking and working like new.

http://www.industrynet.com/listing/1...es-restoration

ya broke a Snap pin at the spool , the nut on the end was Too tight , back off a 1/4 turn or slightly more .
    If your Spool has a very Small Bleed hole to Bleed oil To the seal . this goes inboard twards the ram .
    Soak your new seals in Dot 3 For 15-20 min , Assemble the seals Wet with brake fluid , call me in the morning !

+ Reply to Thread