+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just started new project - 1959 Skyliner rebuild

Just started new project - 1959 Skyliner rebuild

A couple of days ago I bought a 1959 Skyliner. I've been looking for several months and think I have a project I can handle (with some helpful advice from you folks).
    I have sent my application in to join this club and the office lady said she would send me a book on the top.
    To get you up to speed without typing a bunch. since I am a computer consultant, I have a website with my other cars on it. The Skyliner is the newest Ford I own. You are welcome to check it out at http://dunlavy.us.
    The left tab takes you to the other Fords I have restored or built and own. Feel free to look around, I have nothing to hide.
    The only question I have now is: in what order I should tackle the project? Since it runs, I thought I'd rebuilt the top motors and drives and make the top run manually (and re-install the trunk lid). I'll be checking the engine/chassis (brakes,etc) next - it has no shocks now. It looks like the underside has be restored, but I haven't put it on the hoist yet. I am blessed with a fantastic shop - I know that - and say a prayer every day of thanks. Also have a very understanding wife. Look forward to meeting you guys and getting to know you.
    Cheers,
    Dave Dunlavy
    Decorah, Iowa USA

Welcome Dave

Welcome to the forum Dave. Lots of very knowledgeable people in the club to help you with your project - although sometimes the response time on this forum leaves something to be desired! Anyway, best of luck with the restore. I have a '59 as well and really enjoy the car. Consider joining a regional chapter of the Skyliner club. Some really great people in the Northland chapter.

I don't know where to find the Northland Chapter. Please send me an email with contact information. My daughter lives in Orono, MN.
    Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave looks like great car to start with I have two 59 Skyliners I am just west of North Mankato mn feel free to contact me if I can help with information. Jim Johnson North Mankato mn

Welcome, Dave. Chapter information can be found here: http://www.skyliner.org/chapters.html.

The Pathfinder Chapter in Nebraska might be a option for you too. You can join more than one chapter. Last year we cruised to the Okoboji Classic Car Museum in Milford, Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by skeehorse View Post
    Hi Dave looks like great car to start with I have two 59 Skyliners I am just west of North Mankato mn feel free to contact me if I can help with information. Jim Johnson North Mankato mn

Hi Jim, Thanks for the response. Did you rebuild or restore your two 59's? I'm planning to get the top functioning and understand the wiring that is out of the car now, as you can see from the pictures. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Welcome, Dave. Chapter information can be found here: http://www.skyliner.org/chapters.html.

The Pathfinder Chapter in Nebraska might be a option for you too. You can join more than one chapter. Last year we cruised to the Okoboji Classic Car Museum in Milford, Iowa.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll keep my mind open for local groups.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to look you up the next time I in Minneapolis. Next week I'll be busy with the New London New Brighton Run.

Welcome Dave

I just spoke with the president of our Northland chapter, Ron Anderson who said if you are interested in joining this chapter you should just call him anytime before 8pm. His number is 612-866-2306. In fact, I think he mentioned he knows the guy that puts on the New London to New Brighton ride pretty well. Anyway, call Ron if you are interested in the local club and he can also give you some guidance on your restoration. I hope to see you soon at one of our meetings.

Todd

I'm not sure how to use this forum. I guess I don't need to "Reply With Quote", so I'll try just "Reply". I'll call Ron this morning. Certainly look forward to meeting you and others in the chapter. I was a member of the MG-TD group and had them come in Decorah for a cruise, also have been a member of the Twin-Cities Regional Group of HCCA, but it's too far to keep up the dues for only one or no meetings each year. I do still eat with the TCRG fellows when I'm in MSP on the day they gather for lunch. Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread