+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boot (trunk ) lid

Boot (trunk ) lid

Hi guys , have 58 with a couple of roof and trunk (boot) issues
    No 1 the front locks work fine seem to line up fine but on release it seems to go though the motion to let roof go a couple of times before it eventually lets the roof go but then it work completely fine goes in to trunk and trunk shuts fine but
    No2 on raiseing the roof it goes up all lock work fine . Trunk flipper folds fine but then as the roof comes down it trips the cut out switch under dash and does this 4 or 5 time before it finally settle in the closed position .
    I'm in Australia so finding so one to work on the roof is a nightmare . Any help would be amazing

On your first problem, that will require adjusting all your roof lock switches, if it only does it a couple of times before lifting the roof I wouldn't worry too much about it as that is a common problem.
    The second problem could be several things, I would first clean and lubricate all the cables and screw jacks, if they are in need of lube they will cause too much of a load on the top motor.
    I'm assuming that when you say that it trips the breaker when the roof is moving not the deck lid, the deck lid tripping the breaker can be caused be the roof locks not shutting off when the deck lid is moving or need of lubrication of the deck lid jacks.
    I would clean and check all the connections on the motor, if you still have the problem you will need to bench test the motor, it may need to be taken apart and be cleaned and the bearings lubed.
    It is also possible that the circuit breaker itself is bad and should be replaced.
    It could also be that the top assist springs are getting weak, you can check by disconnecting the top lift arms and manually raise and lower the top into the trunk, if it lifts hard and almost falls into the trunk the springs are weak.
    If all this fails to cure the problem you probably have a wire in the harness the has several strands of wire broken and causing a extra load on the top motor.
    Last edited by Ford Only; 07-02-2016 at 03:48 PM. Reason: forgot something

Hi ford only , thanks so much for your help , just to confirm a couple of things .
    It is the trunk lid ,
    I have put a new motor on it ( from jerrys ) so I sure this is ok , I feel like maybe the roof locks on the top of windscreen are maybe not winding down as far as they should ( I have just got hold of some dead stock new male and female locks and will swap ASAP ) so maybe they are still running and tripping the switch as the trunk comes down ? The trunk only does this when the roof is in the up position it goes down smooth when the roof is in the trunk .. I will also try to swap circuit breaker as well just to cover all bases before I start going over all the wireing .
    Tony

I would make sure that the screw jacks for the trunk lid are well lubricated, if any of the roof lock down screws are still trying to lock the roof when the deck lid is lowering it can trip the circuit breaker, sounds like you got it covered.
    If the problem is the roof lock downs, one way you can tell which one is causing the problem is to unplug the deck lid just as it starts its down cycle and listen to the roof you should be able to hear what one or ones are not locking and still trying to lock.
    You may just need to adjust them, which it sounds like you need to do to cure your roof lift off problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Only View Post
    I would make sure that the screw jacks for the trunk lid are well lubricated, if any of the roof lock down screws are still trying to lock the roof when the deck lid is lowering it can trip the circuit breaker, sounds like you got it covered.
    If the problem is the roof lock downs, one way you can tell which one is causing the problem is to unplug the deck lid just as it starts its down cycle and listen to the roof you should be able to hear what one or ones are not locking and still trying to lock.
    You may just need to adjust them, which it sounds like you need to do to cure your roof lift off problem.
    Thank you I'll let you know how it goes once I get a chance to get into it
    Thanks again mate

+ Reply to Thread