+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 Barrel 57' Choke Tube Question

2 Barrel 57' Choke Tube Question

I have a 57 Skyliner with a 2 barrel carb that looks like a factory carburetor. I recently noticed that the choke isn't hooked up. There isn't a hole in the intake manifold for a choke tube and there is a hole in the passenger side exhaust manifold with a screw in it where presumably there was a choke tube at one time. The screw came out pretty easy. Could I simply go to an auto store and purchase some tubing to fit into the hole and put a compression fitting on the end that goes to the carburetor and make the choke work or is it more complex than that? I have wondered if dirty air out of the exhaust manifold would be getting into the carburetor and carboning up the carburetor if I did that or am I wrong about that? Has anyone put an electric choke on one of these carburetors? The carburetor looks like the Holley 2300's but don't have a list number on it which Holleys typically do. So is a 57' Ford 2 barrel carburetor a Holley or is it a Ford carburetor. I happen to also have a 57 T-bird with a 312 V8 and that choke tube comes out of the intake manifold and goes right to the carburetor but of course its a 4 barrel and my Skyliner has a 2 barrel.

Any advice on how to get the choke working would be helpful

Yes, you can go buy a pipe and connect it to the exhaust manifold. Would be pretty easy to do.

There was nothing special about the original. Heat from the exhaust manifold goes into the small choke chamber on the carburetor and heats a spring that moves the choke. Pretty straight forward.
    Last edited by pto; 04-18-2016 at 03:14 AM.

Forgot. How not used an electric.

This is what you need to do the repair.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Champ-Choke-...hW1oa6&vxp=mtr
    If you have a original carburetor it is probably the Autolite 2100 but it doesn't really matter as the manual choke works the same on most of them.
    You should check the choke enclosure before you hook everything up, there should be a slight vacuum in there to pull the manifold heat up from the manifold.
    If there is no vacuum you should clean the carburetor to open that vacuum port, if you don't do this it will take a lot longer for the heat of the manifold to reach the spring and open the choke.
    Exhaust gas does not go into the tube only heat, if for some reason exhaust gas comes out of the hole on the manifold that you plan on using DO NOT USE IT as this will only work for a short while before damage is done.

They do make electric chock kits, they are getting hard to find and are expensive & you need to know what your carburetor is to get the right size unit.

+ Reply to Thread