+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Car dead - battery fine.

Car dead - battery fine.

Hi,
    I am asking this for a neighbor of mine as I have done a few times in the past. He has a 59 Retractable and is having a problem where there is no power going to the car from the battery. Another words with the battery hooked up the interior lights don't go on, head lights don't go on, car obviously wont crank - Nothing.

I checked a few things for him with my volt meter. The battery is fully charged. There is 12.5volts going from the batter to the side of the starter solenoid. There is nothing after that. There is 12.5volts going to the Does that mean the solenoid is bad? The car is in great shape and he runs it all the time.
    One minute the car had power and started and the next time he went to start the car everything was dead?
    Thanks for your time.
    Finster

You need to check at the battery terminal of the voltage regulator for voltage, the connection at the solenoid only tells you that you have voltage from the battery to that point.
    If you have voltage at the regulator you will need to check the large yellow wire that goes under the dash to the ignition and headlight switch.
    The problem probably is the headlight switch but could be the ignition switch depending on which one gets the battery power first.

Thank you for the information - The problem was with the yellow wire to the light switch - It was loose.

+ Reply to Thread