I have posted previously regarding the lack of braking power on my 59 Skyliner and continue to have the same problem - very little stopping power.

After replacing the wheel cylinders, the brake hoses, the brake shoes and the brake lines the only thing remaining to replace was the master cylinder.

My car does have the power brake booster but the master cylinder on the car is the 1" bore so I assume someone has previously changed it. There is no replacement master cylinder for the power brakes with the 1 1/8" bore and I have been told that either one would work so I ordered a new master cylinder at NAPA.

When I tried to install the master cylinder the upper mounting holes were off by a 1/2" or so. I took my old master cylinder and the new one back to NAPA and they determined that the one to fit my car was the one listed for a 1960 Ford. They ordered a 1960 Ford master cylinder and it bolted up to the firewall okay.

I still continue to have poor braking power but does anyone have any idea whatsoever why the 1959 master cylinder does not match up to the mounting holes?

NAPA said perhaps my car was a late production model and sometimes late in the model year they would use parts from the upcoming model. My car was produced on May 19 and production continued until October. Besides the firewall would have to be changed to accommodate the different bolt pattern.

Any ideas?