+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cosmetic finish of a master cylinder

Cosmetic finish of a master cylinder

Hi,
    Is the master cylinder(either a factory one or after market dual bowl one) supposed to be painted or in original metal type finish. Another words - if you get a new master cylinder over time it develops a rust type condition on the outside since it is raw metal. Do most people paint them or leave them as is. I guess once its installed its too late so this would be prior to installation.

I was just wondering - its never a part I paid much attention to the exterior - just the maintenance of the interior.
    Thanks

The master cylinder should be natural. Use Duplicolor cast coat enamel to replicate the natural appearance of clean raw cast iron. A rusty master cyclinder would really take away from the looks of a nice clean engine bay.

Another option you might want to consider

While in the process of restoring a 59 I decided to upgrade the brakes system to a dual bowl with power assist. Being I had a brand new master cylinder that I did not want ending up looking like the old one that appeared to have been paint one time in its life I decided to have it powder coated. The color I chose was Cast Iron grey. You can't even tell it has a coating on it. Unlike paint, powder coating is not effected by brake fluid that is notorious for removing paint. Something like a master cylinder would not cost much to have done. You would have to remove it from the car and remove the plunger with the rubber parts attached. If the cover still has it's plated finish and its in good shape you could have that clear coated so it stays that way. If not they have colors that will replicate the old finish. In my restoration I rarely paint anything. If it can handle going in an oven it gets powder coated. I now have my own powder coating set up in basement. If I can fit it in my old kitchen oven I powder coat it.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread