+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tips for rims repainting

tips for rims repainting

Hi
    Folks, do you know what paint to take for changing the colour of my wheel rims. I'd like to refresh colour and mask the scratches. I do not have any experience but I hope it will not be very hard to do. Do I need any finish to cover the painted rims?
    Thanks

They were painted body color from the factory, so gloss enamel would be the correct paint.
    If want them to be factory correct you would need to remove all the paint & paint them black, then you need to paint body color over the black on just the out side of the wheel.
    The Skyliner's & Thunderbirds were done this way and they used the 14" X 5-1/2" wheels with no slots, station wagons & Ranchero's also used the solid center wheel, passenger car wheels have four slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Only View Post
    They were painted body color from the factory, so gloss enamel would be the correct paint.
    If want them to be factory correct you would need to remove all the paint & paint them black, then you need to paint body color over the black on just the out side of the wheel.
    The Skyliner's & Thunderbirds were done this way and they used the 14" X 5-1/2" wheels with no slots, station wagons & Ranchero's also used the solid center wheel, passenger car wheels have four slots.
    thanks, I think that I will partially remove the factory paint with the angle grinder. Can you please say is it good idea or not.. I have the paint for engines https://www.mrosupply.com/paint-pain...de1612_krylon/ Can I apply it?

Tips for wheel painting

I hope your angle grinder uses sanding discs, a hard grinding wheel will damage the metal.
    You can probably get them cleaned up enough with angle grinder sanding and hand sanding.
    You could also use paint stripper and then some hand sanding to remove all the paint, media blasting would be best.
    Krylon spray paints would work for the black paint & would also work if they have the correct body color for your car.
    Rattle can painting can give good results but takes many coats as the paint is highly reduced and its easy to get runs if your not careful.

Is it correct to say the tires need to be removed from the rims to paint? Or can you get a nice coat while leaving the tires on and masking everything else?

You could try to mask but you will not get as good a job with the tires on.
    If you have a bead breaker you can break the bead and put masking paper around the tire and rim and get a better job than trying just to mask the tire.
    It mostly depends on how good of job you want, the best results would be with the tire off the rim.

I used a power drill with 2 wire brushes, a thin edge brush and a round orbital brush. They were able to get into just about everywhere since my wheels were dirty and rusted. After that I cleaned them good and painted them with rust encapsulating primer and 2 coats of chassis black. My wheels were entirely black from the factory so I didn't have to paint them a different color on the front. Here's the end result.

I had my rims media blasted and powder coated and they still look great 10 years on, even with our damp climate.

+ Reply to Thread