+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Continental Kit or Not

Continental Kit or Not

Recently purchased a 1959 Skyliner and I have been considering putting a continental kit on it. Seems there is a guy who makes them in Canada for the '59 Ford. Just wondering if there were any pros or cons associated with these kits or purely personal preference? Any typical squeaks or rattles I should expect with this install? Is the guy in Canada my only choice for this or are there other options? Do most people run with two spare tires with the kit, one in the original location and another in the kit? Overall, just wondering if this is a good or bad idea? Thanks for the help.

I have all three years of the Skyliner and all my cars have Continental kits, I think they look naked without one but that is my opinion. The kit on my 59 is from Continental Enterprises in Canada, it looks very close to the original Ford one.
    I would keep the original spare in the well as getting the spare out of the Continental kit is not easy and you can scratch the paint.
    I do not have any squeaks or rattles probably because the kit is fixed on the Skyliner (doesn't fold down) like on other model Fords that have a real trunk.
    If your not in a hurry I would look for a original used one as it would probably be a lot less money than the new one.

Thanks for information Ford Only. I think they look pretty good as well and will likely put one on in the near future. Not really in a hurry on this. Any particular places I should be looking to find an original?

You could put a wanted ad in the Skyliner News letter & watch E-bay, I've seen them on e-bay & you can make non Skyliner kit work as long as its for a 59.

Here is the supplier / manufacturer of the correct reproduction kit for your car. He is a long time IFRC member and has restored many Showcase cars throughout the years. His ads are in the Skyliner magazine as well as on this web site.

Lyle G. Hutchins; Continental, '59 Headliner Material; 573-729-5061

Thanks Dave. I will give Lyle a call. Must have missed that in the Skyliner magazine. New member and a lot to digest I guess!

I spoke with Lyle earlier today. Going to buy a kit from him. Really a nice guy. Thanks to all of you guys for helping me with this.

+ Reply to Thread