+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crankcase Ventilation Tube

Crankcase Ventilation Tube

Hi Folks,
    Skyliner with 352 engine.
    What does it mean when I have excessive smoke coming from my crankcase ventilation tube. When I'm stopped a lot comes out. I know there is no draft when stopped so it
    Might come out of there or the breather cap but there is a good deal coming out once the car is warmed up. The smoke looks mostly like regular exhaust smoke. Can't tell for sure with the sun shining down.
    Thanks.

Some smoke may be normal but excessive smoke usually means worn piston rings causing back pressure inside of the engine blowing it out of the breathers.

Thanks. When one replaces the piston rings does it make sense to just yank the engine out and do an entire rebuild?
    Or
    Take the top part of the motor off and just do the rings only?

Another question - When the engine is warm and I shut the car off its a little more difficult to start. It cranks for a little bit and I usually need to depress the pedal. Years ago I never had to do that. Is this caused by the same issue?

Thanks for your time

It would not make much since just to do the rings as the other components such as bearings, valves, timing chain, oil pump, to name the main items are probably also worn.
    If it does no use a lot of oil and you don't put a lot of miles on you might be better leaving it as is and enjoy it the way it is.
    You can use a heaver oil such as 20-50, I don't think that any of the over counter snake oil products will do much good.
    If you do a lot of miles you should do a complete rebuild or get a crate engine and then you should never have to worry about it again.
    As far as the starting issue it could be that you have low compression because of ring wear or could be several other items, such as a carburetor that leaks and the motor gets a little flooded.
    You should take it to a shop that can properly check out the motor, at least have a compression test done to determine what is going

Thanks. I currently have an Edelbrock carb on the car now and it has a 3/8 nipple on the front of it. I was thinking I can hook up a PCV valve to the intake manifold and run a hose to the carbuerator. If so I guess I need to remove the Road Flow pipe(or leave it off to the side).

I guess what I am struggling with is how would I connect the PCV valve to the back of the intake manifold? I was thinking of putting a grommet around the PCV valve and putting it into the connector on the manifold where the pipe normally goes. Unless there is a more "Factory Made" connector for the back of the manifold.
    Thanks for your time.

+ Reply to Thread