+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top Control Box

Top Control Box

Hi,

Has anyone heard of "Wayne Saunders" and his Roof Control “Cheater” Box? Per a So Cal Retractable newsletter, he built and sold 215 of these emergency control boxes. It was never a profitable venture but rather a service to Skyliner owners. He stated that after building the boxes for many years he is now officially out of business.

It appears I am to late to the party, but was wondering if there is a similar product still being offered? Or if someone is familiar with this and can provide details on how to recreate one? Seems like momentary contact, dual pole, toggle switches?

The attachment show what I am speculating is one of the 215 - serial number 56?

control box small.JPG

Hello,
    I can recreate one for you. But, I have to ask what is wrong with your skyliner first. Would you like to keep it just as a spare, or to have as a constant use.
    I have friends who could never get their car working right, so they have separate switches for each.

Initially, it would be useful as part of my diagnostic tools. I need to check out the top on a car that has been in storage since 1981. The first usage will be to get the deck lid locked down for winter. Once I get the top working normally, it will be used as a spare. The concept of the switch box, presumably with electrical protection, seems better than jumping the solenoids to accomplish the tests.

All control boxes I have seen are set up to jump the solenoids. They do not feed power to each part of the top from the box, but instead feed power to the solenoids that then feed power to the top parts.
    So you may have the wrong idea.

A box that feeds power to the top parts without going through the solenoids is possible, but there wouldn't be a point for it. The solenoids have good power that goes through them. If they do not work or are not letting power through them, then they must be replaced.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm curious how many out there use some kind of control box for the top .

When I first got my basket case 7 years ago the first thing I had to know was

if all the motors work and if the top lined up,locked down and functioned correctly so I made a "control box" with lots of wiring and all because some of the

original stuff was not installed or missing. It turned out the top functioned very well so I moved on to everything else. Well I got tired of being tied to a short

wiring harness every time I had to raise or lower the top so I set it up to work with an RF wireless remote and it works great ,all ten functions ! Now of course

I'd prefer it work as original and I think I have most of what I would need but It'll be the last thing I tackle to get the car on the road.

If there's any interest I could post more details but I'm most interested how many use some kind of "control box" for what ever reason

so please chime in !

One other thing ,again for expediency, I'm using Bosch type relays for the main relays (30-40 amp) and they work fine.The top has been up and down

a hundred (?) times with no problems over the years.

Dave K.

+ Reply to Thread