+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crank case breather tube

Crank case breather tube

I have a fresh 292 all set up and dialed in. I'm getting a lot of oil dripping out of my crank case breather tube. Oil is fresh, good, filled to the right mark. Someone mentioned I should have a breather tube filter or cartridge. Could use some help on exactly what this filter would look like? I pulled the black cover and there's not much room in there for a filter. Can anyone ahead some light on this?
    Thank you - Scott

There is a mesh filter that is open at both ends, you should be able to find this on e-bay or a parts vender.
    You may want to check the oil fill breather filter and make sure its clean, if it is dirty or plugged it can cause back pressure to the crank breather.

Good point. I did not think of one causing an issue for the other. Thank you

Ok, this is an old post. But it is something I just can't tell if it is working correctly. Crank case breather tube...... I found and installed the filter that goes inside the canister. I still get a good sized spot of oil from the tube if I leave the car running in the driveway for example. I also have residual oil across the bottom of the car on a frame off restoration. I was told to jam some stainless steel pan scrubber up inside the tube but I understand back pressure is not good. Some folks have told me all cars with and open crank case tube have this same challenge. I've been told a PCV valve could be installed and tied back into the air clearer? Is this common for the 57 292 engines. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you - Scott

You shouldn't be getting much if any oil out of the breather, if you are getting blow by there should be almost a equal amount of it coming out of the oil fill breather also but of course no oil out of that breather.
    The most common cause for blow by is piston ring wear, incorrect valve adjust might cause some blow by but you would have a rough running motor if the valves were out of adjustment.
    There is one thing you can do that would probably stop the dripping oil but would not cure a blow by issue and that would be to install a valley pan from a Y block Thunderbird or a pickup truck as they used a road draft tube that mounted in the back of the valley pan and the lower vent was capped off.
    Installing a PVC system would stop oil from dripping on your floor but would probably foul the spark plugs if a lot of oil got sucked into the engine

There should be a gasket between the two parts of the breather and between the breather and the block.
    These breathers are easily bent so make sure everything fits together snuggly. If not sealed it will leak a lot.
    The oil/air mix goes into the breather filter and the oil should drip down from the filter back into the crankcase.

Goodluck,

Ron.

Plus those two bolts that hold that on need thread sealer or it will leak around the threads.

I switched my 352 to a PCV system a number of years ago. It has made an incredible quality of life change as there is no exhaust or smoke in my engine bay or car cabin anymore. It all goes out the back. My engine is fine its just a normal process with a draft tube set up. There were a few ways to go:

1. Get a new plate with a nipple for under the carb. Then run a hose to the road draft tube and attach the hose with pcv and a rubber gasket that fits the PCV valve in the middle of it.
    2. You can get a new oil breather cap with a nipple - then do the same as above.
    3. Change the Carb to an Edelbrock with 600 CFM. They come with a nipple on the front. Then do the same as #1.

Just make sure you get the right size PCV valve and a rubber gasket that fits the draft tube.

+ Reply to Thread