+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stainless steel Rear Quarter panel upper moulding

Stainless steel Rear Quarter panel upper moulding

A Brit seeking yet more advice please.
    In preparation for straightening and polishing these 6' long 'capping strips' I gingerly prised them of the fenders to find, surprisingly, that ALL the retaining clips came off with the mouldings. These 10 clips per side would appear to have been secured in place at the fender hole sites using strong polyurethane body adhesive.
    Presumably to refit the moulding when repaired, I shall have to clean off all the old adhesive and re-glue the clips (which each do have springy features which go through the hole as a primary retention device). Liberally applied, the adhesive will also doubtless stop water ingress into the trunk area. Should I anticipate any difficulty snapping the freshly polished trim over these clips - is there a trick to this potentially nerve wracking process?
    BTW. I am a couple of clips short and notice that MAC Parts offer a 3 part clip utilizing a small screw and rubber bush with threaded insert, which presumably neatly secures and seals in one go. Does anyone have experience of this type of clipping?
    Thanks
    kirky2

Staniless upper quarter trim

I looked in the exterior moulding illustration section of the Ford illustrated parts catalog page 848 and it shows 3 different clips used on this strip.
    1 of the clips slide into the molding and has a stud with a nut, the other ones are the type you push into the hole in your body and squeeze with a pliers or the correct tool? to tighten them in the opening.
    The clips that are squeezed are supposed to stay on when you remove the stainless trim.
    When you buy replacement clip they usually don't have any of that insulating material on them.
    If you send me your e-mail address I can send you a picture of page 848, I don't know how to do it on this Forum

Hi Ford Only
    Thanks. I guess ALL my clips are of the 'squeeze 2 tangs with pliers to secure' type but my tentative method of removal of trim brought the clips with it. Maybe with the knowledge I have now I could have perhaps prised the the trim from the clips - but hindsight is 20:20. My e-mail address is kirkup573@btinternet.com. Any info and perhaps where to obtain a couple more clips would be most welcome. Many Thanks.
    kirky2.

You should be getting the information you need in a e-mail, if you didn't get it let me know and I will try to post it to a thread.

+ Reply to Thread