+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 59 Ford production figures -model year starting date

59 Ford production figures -model year starting date

Hello.
    I have now got me an 59 Skyliner in good original condition.
    A Skyliner has been on my wants list for decades, a mecanical marvel and top of 50s design. Now I look forward to summer season with top Down. Meanwhile I try to get as much of its history sorted out as I can.
    This car was produced at Milpitas plant, San Hose at september 22. 1958.
    Delivered to the customer in Boise Idahoo at october 21.

Some playing with figures;
    From what I can find, each Ford plant had numbering production secuence for all models produced at each plant starting at no. 100--- .

Info about that San Jose plant says that at top of production, they had an output of 55 cars pr hour. Not stated what year that was.
    Furtermore I find that Ford produced about 1.450.000 cars for1959, and less than one in a thousand would be a Skyliner.
    This Skyliner is Serial no 100.662.
    Am I wrong or could this be one of the first 59 Skyliners built at that plant?
    Does anybody know when was 59 models offered for sale? - Orders taken?
    Opinion wanted.
    Thanks

You do have an extremely early 59. according to the VIN, yours was the 662nd Ford produce at San Jose for the model year. This is very likely the first or second day of production. You are correct that unit numbers were not broken out by body number (51A), so again, it is likely that yours is one of the very first, if not the first Skyliner built at San Jose for the 59 Model year. You may want to contact the IFRC office to check the data plate archives for further info. Hope this helps & welcome aboard!
    Bill

This is a interesting question ,how many Fairlane 500 Skyliners were made ?
    I thought it was two month run before the Galaxie was introduced ?
    Thanks for any info.
    Jim

I'm not sure when they started to make Galaxie Skyliners in 1959. My American Encyclopedia of American cars shows that 12,915 Skyliners total were built for 1959. Don't know if they were built anywhere besides San Jose.

Sal

+ Reply to Thread