+ Reply to Thread

Thread: disc brakes on 59

disc brakes on 59

Does anybody know of newer old Ford that I could get parts that will fit a 59

Contact IFRC tech advisor Dave Dudt. His phone # is 724-948-3861. He has done this conversion on his (wife's) car.

Thanks for information I will check

I added disc brakes to my 57, 58 & 59 Skyliner as well as a few other 50's Fords.
    I like to use the mid 70's Ford Torino or Mercury Montego, they will fit without much modifying. I have used the Ford Granada setup which works fine but you need to ream the upper part off the spindle for the ball joint to fit.
    You need all the brake parts off the donor car including the proportioning valve. I took the calipers to Auto Zone and exchanged them for rebuilt ones, bought new rotors & hoses and a 1968 Mustang master cylinder.
    Your original 14" wheels will not fit so you need 14" wheels from the donor or any Ford 14" wheel with the disc brake offset.

thanks so much that was what I needed. where are you located? i am in Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford Only View Post
    I added disc brakes to my 57, 58 & 59 Skyliner as well as a few other 50's Fords.
    I like to use the mid 70's Ford Torino or Mercury Montego, they will fit without much modifying. I have used the Ford Granada setup which works fine but you need to ream the upper part off the spindle for the ball joint to fit.
    You need all the brake parts off the donor car including the proportioning valve. I took the calipers to Auto Zone and exchanged them for rebuilt ones, bought new rotors & hoses and a 1968 Mustang master cylinder.
    Your original 14" wheels will not fit so you need 14" wheels from the donor or any Ford 14" wheel with the disc brake offset.

Have you ever upgraded the slave cylinder power steering to a power gear box.

I'm located in Leander, Texas. Too far away to be of any hands on help.
    I don't know how original you want to keep your car looking but you can buy a power brake kit for your Ford that has the master cylinder, booster & proportioning valve already attached, just needs to be bolted to your firewall. These kits use the GM type master cylinder with the 3/8 IF ports which make hooking up the brake lines easier.
    You can find these kits on E-bay or from Jegs or Summit racing. They sell a really nice looking all chrome one, if your into dress up.
    I know they also sell conversion kits to do disc brake conversions that use your original spindles but I doubt if any of these kits will work with 14" wheels, even if they say they will.
    I have 14 old Fords and usually go the cheapest way.

I have never done a power steering gear box conversion, I've done the power rack & pinion on a few cars.
    I do use the Thompson later style power steering pumps to replace the original Eaton pumps when they won't stop leaking.

brake reply

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Only View Post
    I have never done a power steering gear box conversion, I've done the power rack & pinion on a few cars.
    I do use the Thompson later style power steering pumps to replace the original Eaton pumps when they won't stop leaking.
    Thanks for the info. I am into as inexpensive as I can get. Do all my own work and kind of in early stages of restoration. just finished sandblasting body and frame and ready to start back together. I think I want disc brakes but could go with just good power and dual cylinder

+ Reply to Thread