+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adjusting the front roof hinges

Adjusting the front roof hinges

The front and rear locks line up perfectly but the front lock screws don't seem to enter at the right angle. I've tried resetting the roof several times according to the shop manual. The shop manual doesn't go into detail about adjusting the front roof hinges which is the only adjustment I haven't changed to correct the front lock angle. Does anyone have a method to make this adjustment and can this adjustment solve my problem? Thank you, Paul in Ohio

It could be that your female windshield locks are installed incorrectly. They should be installed with the locking screws at the top and toward the passenger side. Ron B

adjusting the front roof hinge

1st I want to thank you for replying to my question. On pg 32 of the shop manual it states that the right lock nut is installed with the set screw to the right of the nut and the left lock nut is installed with the set screw to the left of the nut. Tomorrow I will check this out.
    Your post appears to state differently. Are we not on the same page or is there a misprint in the shop manual?
    Can you shed any light on adjusting the front roof hinges? Paul in Ohio

Front roof reciever's:

Hi Paul: The female reciever's are the same for the left or right...But they are installed differently...On the left side (driver) the allan locking nut should be on the left bottom... On the right side (passenger's) the locking nut should be on the top right...The way the header curve's this keep's the screws inline with the reciever's...Hope this help's...All my car's 1-57 & 2-58's are this way and work fine..(so far) Good luck Gregg

adjusting the front roof hinges

Hi S. L. 58. Thanks for responding to my post. I checked today and I have the front roof lock nuts installed correctly as you and the shop manual stated.
    If I line up the front locks and block the rear of the top 1/2" out of the rear locks the downward angle for the front locks is correct and they lock down. But if I lower the rear locks to enter slightly after the front locks start their engagement the front locks only turn 1 revolution and stop.
    The shop manual states in order to reset the top the locks must be fully engaged and this would happen if the downward angle on the front screws were correct.
    I read and reread the manual and tried every possible adjustment except adjusting the front roof hinges. In the Ford Mechanic #7 it does show and tell where the adjusting bolts are but little about the mechanics of adjusting them. Today I have all the hardware loosen but not sure how to proceed. Any help on making the adjustment will be appreciated. Paul in Ohio

Hey Paul: The roof hinge's are adjustable to keep the rear & front roof in line not to adjust the angle or position the roof entering the locking screw's...Blocking the rear while letting the front lock...I think not the correct way to proceed...? Not sure about the Ford Mechanic #7 thing..Where did you see this..? How far are you from Battle Creek,Mi. ?

adjustable front roof hinge

Good morning,
    The Ford Mechanic is a 57 Ford service manual #7 and on the back states this book belongs to the service dept. Ford Motor Co. It has basically the same information as the FORD TOP SHOP MANUAL with a little different explanation. I'm a little north of Columbus.
    Thanks for explaining the basic function of the adjustable front roof hinge. This has saved me a lot of time trying to have it do what it's not designed for. The roof hinge stops were turned completely in and not adjusting anything so I thought this might be a solution to having the downward angle of the screws correct a no bind position. The #7 service manual states: The front roof adjustable stops are turned in or out as required to stop the upward travel and maintain proper relation with the rear roof. Turn the stops out to eliminate the crown and in to eliminate the sag. This is where I got the notion that it would change the downward angle of the screws and solve my problem. If there is no downward adjustment of the front roof hinge than I need to correct this problem with a combination of the control link , the power link, the roof locks and the rear power link turn buckle adjustments so I can get the locks to completely lock down and then continue to use the top shop manual to reset the top. The front locks won't lock down by unhooking the lift jacks, setting the top at the point of lock engagement and powering up the roof lock solenoid. If you get a chance look at my web site 57thunderbirds.com and on the side bar click on the last entry to find the retractable page. This will give you a better idea where I'm at. Thanks again, Paul in Ohio

+ Reply to Thread