+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intermittent Stopping

Intermittent Stopping

1958 all stock and in very good condition. Recently the top has begun stopping as I bring the it out of the trunk and place it in the closed position. Each time it stops I hear a click or ping under the dash. As I let go of the switch and push it in again, the top restarts then stops a second or two later. Any ideas why this is happening?

There is a circuit breaker for the roof located under the dash along the lh side. The click you hear is the breaker tripping. You will need to investigate the cause.

You don't say at what part of the cycle that it is tripping the circuit breaker. If you are raising the top and the circuit breaker trips after the top has locked down and when the flipper panel folds and deck lowers. It will probably be a a problem with the lock down switches for the top in the header or rear quarter not turning the motors for the top off, drawing too much voltage and tripping the breaker. If it trips on every cycle its probably a bad ground or poor connections by the relay panel. I have 3 Skyliners, one of each year and I have had many problems with the tops over the years but if you have the wiring manual for the top you can look at the trouble shooting section and usually figure out where the problem is.

+ Reply to Thread