+ Reply to Thread

Thread: '57 Horn Wiring

'57 Horn Wiring

I could use some advise. My wiring was all disassembled and a lot of it replaced when it was restored by myself. The old horn wire was thrown away. I have added a new, correct OEM horn wire, but the horns do not work. I hooked up a horn BUTTON that I purchased at the auto parts store for a couple of dollars (by passing the horn wire) and grounded it under the dash and the horns work fine with that horn button. But, - when I try to use the steering wheel horn ring thru the OEM horn wire, the horns will not sound. Could this be a ground problem? If so, how can I ground the OEM horn wire? Or, - is there something else I am over looking? Thanks for any advise...

There is a spring loaded brass contact & plastic bushing that makes the connection thru the steering wheel. Is it there or is the spring compressed so the contact does not reach? That is the 1st place I would look. Hope this helps.

Wills, - Thanks for your reply. Yea, the spring loaded brass contact are part of the horn wire (on the steering wheel end) it is all brand new. It contracts as it should. I do not have a plastic bushing, mine is metal, does that matter? Thanks I have attached 2 pics. Does everything seem complete?
    Last edited by loveoldcars513; 10-07-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Your pictures won't open. Try sending directly to my email: wwbudner724@zoominternet.net.

OK, I'm sending now. thanks

Well, stranger things have happened I guess.... I took everything apart, cleaned everything very well, put it all back together & TIGHTENED everything, and guess what, -- It now works fine as it should! Go figure huh! Thanks to Wills for your help...

+ Reply to Thread