+ Reply to Thread

Thread: top removal

Smile top removal

I am looking for some input on the risk and benefit of removing the top for a restoration. I would like to remove it to be able to get all the rust out of inside. I also have some repair to do to back of deck package. Is it better to go ahead and remove the top or try to work around the repairs. I have braced up the inside so that body can be removed from frame. When I do this should the top be back in place? I realize this is a lot of questions but this is big project and I would like some input from those who have traveled this road.

I removed the top from a 58 I restored, I did it by myself using my 2 post car lift and some 2 X 4's to go under the top. When I had everything loose I just raised the top off the car and then pushed the car out, lowered the top and was able to move it and turn it by myself but help would have been nice. I had several places where the rust was bad and I had to cut it out and fabricate some repair patches, I also added some extra metal for strength. When I finished the repairs I covered all the welds with fiberglass body putty, when everything was smoothed out it is very hard to even tell there was a repair done. When I removed the body the top was off and I just used some steel braces across the door jambs which I bolted into hinge and lock location.
    I never had any problems but I didn't mount the body on any type of turn device that would rotate the body.

Thanks for the information. That is exactly what I am hoping to do. Any idea on how many people it will take to lift top off since I don't have a lift.

Top removal successful now it am looking for parts. Anyone have suggestions

+ Reply to Thread