+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dual Master cyl.-?

This is one that's on E-bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-1958-19...p2054897.l4275
    I don't think you will be able to use the stock wheels without a spacer but if it works let us know as I have a couple more Fords that I may ad disc brakes to in the future.

Thanks, Ford Only, I test fit the disc today, it clears OK, using the stock front hub, the studs may be to short, I did not put the wheel on it yet.
    I had the hub & the 10" disc on the bench for a test fit, looked good, I will need to make a bracket to hold the caliper, I'll post the results, thanks, Wayne

Google Master Power, LLC in Mooresville, NC. Their business is drum/disc brake conversion kits. They can help you. I just upgraded the drum brakes on my '59 to a duel booster system for safety reasons. They supplied everything I needed and it was a straight bolt on conversion.

Thanks Ron, I'll do that, did you go with disc brakes-?, Wayne

Wayne,
    No, I still have drums all around. Original under the hood booster and master cylinder both needed rebuilding, so I opted to change to the dual master cylinder system for a safer braking system.

Thanks, Ron, I did find & saved there site, I have a disc brake & caliper that I'm going to put on the front, working on a rear disc also, so far it looks like the stock 14" wheels will work, I'll post the results, thanks, Wayne

There is a new rebuild kit for the Kelsey-Hayes underdash unit available from most of the usual vendors now.
    The P/B master cyl is 1.125" bore. This set-up stops ok when right.
    You can have your shoes relined with softer material for quicker stops.
    The bigger bore m/c's move more fluid (for higher line pressure) and are harder to push.

Ron.

I want to add something to this discussion for clarity. A smaller master bore creates a higher hydraulic pressure for the same force applied to the brake pedal.

+ Reply to Thread