+ Reply to Thread

Thread: carburettor

carburettor

Hello Guys
    I am after some information please.My 59 with the 352 engine has the original carb.I am thinking of taking this of and replacing it with a Holley.Has anybody done this before.Can I fit a holley and retain the original air cleaner.
    I would like to do this as the original carb has symptoms I don't seem to be able to cure.
    One of these is.If I don't use the car for a couple of weeks it gives symptoms of no fuel in the carb until I have made several attempts to start it.It is like the fuel has drained back.How do I identify which manufacturer of carb I have as I cannot find any identifying marks on it.

I have both a 58 & 59 Skyliner also a 58 Sunliner with the 352 engine and would not use a Holley carburetor on any of them as they are nothing but problems. I used to use Holley carburetors but since they started changing the fuel (ethanol) they seem to be the most prone to failure. If you have the original Ford 4100 carburetor I would rebuild it as it is a much better carburetor than the Holley 4150 which is the Holley Ford application. There are many things that can cause the symptoms your carburetor has, bad fuel pump, leaking power valve, bad accelerator pump, no carburetor spacer and the biggest problem is the ethanol in the fuel as it tends to evaporate much faster than fuel without it. Summit Racing makes a carburetor that will fit your 352, SUM-M08600VS ($279.97) its a box top and a old Holley design they work good as I have been using them for about 5 years on a couple of cars and had no problems (the air cleaner will fit). There is another thing you should do and that is add a electric fuel pump, mount it close to the gas tank and turn it on just to prime the carburetor. Do not leave it on after the car starts unless you eliminate the mechanical fuel pump, which you can do but don't use both if the mechanical goes bad the electric pump can pump fuel into the oil pan. or

Thankyou for your reply.I will look into what you say.Thanks for saving me money and possibly more hassle.

+ Reply to Thread