+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Transmission

Automatic Transmission

I found a Great Source for vintage Automatic Transmission parts. Fatsco has the parts I needed for my Cruis-O-Matic, and I thought they were very reasonable on there prices. All I had to tell them was, if the center case was a small medium ar large, and they got that information from the ID tag. They also said they could Identify it by having me measure the length of the case. I believe they handle Transmission parts for all makes and models.

Has anyone considered a manual four speed, like a toploader?, or C6?, I would really prefer a manual, although I hope to appeal to the purist as I have rescued my car from parts yards all over the states, some items I wont be able to locate or find so I wil have to have alternative options such as a slightly modified, clean rod look with a bit of get up and go. Thanks

My '59 car was also rescued, & when I was having the engine & transmission rebuilt, I was informed that the transmission was junk. I was told that a C6 would bolt right on. Guess what? It does & so far so good. As I'm still completing the restoration, I won't know of any real problems until next spring/summer when it will get it's real test.

Lynn Thanks for the source here is another one, with some good online info that might be of help. Jim
    http://www.charlietranny.com/Fordomatic.htm

Hey guys/gals. What's the difference btwn a C6 and a Cruis-a-Matic anyway?

Gary

A cruise-o-matic is a variation on the old f/m3, but has a valve body to allow the car to automatically start out in 1st gear. The trans housing is cast iron with a removable cast iron bell housing (converter cover). The shift points are controlled by a throttle pressure regulator. That is why the adjustable linckages at the bellcrank. This transmission was later adapted to use a vacuum modulator to control shift points and was used thru 1977. A c6 is a completely different animal. The c6 is and all aluminum housing with the bell housing cast as part of the housing (non removable). Due to the non removeable housing, there are various cases that were used to bolt up to different engine series. (fe, small block, 429/460, navistar diesel, etc.) the c6 is a very heavy duty transmission and was usually used in heavy vehicles such as full size or high-performance cars and wagons, trucks and vans up thru 1-ton. The c6 was produced from 1966 thru 1991. Carbureators on c6 vehicles have the extra lever to attach the kickdown rod. Hope this helps.
    Bill

I bought my 58 in 1999. After a few months, the transmission started to slip. I took it in to be rebuilt, and found out the bell housing and tailshaft were the original Cruise-o-matic, but the gearbox was a FMX. It looked like the combination should work, so I had it rebuilt. About 6 months later it was slipping again. The pump would rub, causing a small internal leak, causing a drop in pressure, causing the slipping. I decided to replace it with a C6. It fit right in. The only mods were to elongate the mount holes in the crossmember about a half inch, and fabricate a longer kickdown rod. I've got around 25000 miles on it now with no problems.

Art

Art
    Thanks for the C6 info did you have to change the flex plate , drive shaft length or the yoke?
    Jim

I forgot about the flexplate and starter. It's been a while since I did this, but as I remember, the C6 is lacking the bulge in it's attached bellhousing that the Cruise-o-matic has in its separate one. The bulge is for the starter gear to sit in, as the Cruise-o-matic uses a starter that pulls the gear into the flywheel. You need to use a newer one that pushes the gear in. This necessitates changing the flexplate to one that has the welds that hold on the ring gear on the opposite side. It also might have a different profile stamped into it. The tongue convertor is also different. I didn't change the driveshaft or yoke.

Art
    Thanks for sharing this information it will help others.I think the c6 is a very good option it would be a upgrade for the person that drives there car a lot I know they are very durable.
    Jim

+ Reply to Thread