+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1958 352CID breather tube

1958 352CID breather tube

I seem to be getting excessive oil out of the breather tube. When I removed it and looked at the hole in the back of the intake , it did not seem to have any kind of filter or baffle to stop oil from getting into the breather pipe. Is this correct?

breather

There is a filter attached to the underside of the intake manifold. Unfortunately the manifold has to be removed to gain access.

Oil dripping from the draft tube can be caused by several things. Is there also oil dripping from the breather cap? When the engine is idling, is there smoke coming out of the draft tube? How many miles are on the engine? If you run the engine for an extended time (1 hour or more) with the breather cap off, does the smoke/oil dripping stop? In how many miles of driving does it use a quart of oil? What thickness oil are you using? Check these things before removing the intake manifold. I hope this helps.
    Bill

Thanks for the response. There is no oil dripping from the breather cap. I have not looked for smoke from the breather tube. It is winter in Iowa and will not be running the car for several months. It was overhauled before I purchased it, but I think it has about 4-5000 miles on it. Will check for smoke with breather cap off next spring. Does not use any oil. Using 10W30 oil.

Quintin

Quote Originally Posted by wagonman56 View Post
    There is a filter attached to the underside of the intake manifold. Unfortunately the manifold has to be removed to gain access.
    Thanks for the reply. Do you know if that filter is available? If yes, from who?

Thanks

Quintin

You can probably get it at the grocery or hardware store, its just looped mesh just like a pan scrubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Only View Post
    You can probably get it at the grocery or hardware store, its just looped mesh just like a pan scrubber.
    Thanks for the info

+ Reply to Thread