+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1958 352 4 barrel engine solid or hydraulic lifters?

Question 1958 352 4 barrel engine solid or hydraulic lifters?

Hi, I am new to the forum, I recently acquired a running 1958 Skyliner project, it had been sitting for almost 30 years. I have been looking for one for several years. I hope to learn a lot about these cool cars from you guys on here.
    Here is my question to the FE experts out there:

I had a lifter noise from the right side of the engine, my original 1958 service manual I acquired had the procedure for adjusting the solid lifters for the 4 barrel 352 Interceptor engine that came in my car.
    I set all of the clearances per the spec, the engine starts and runs fine, but it seems to make more clatter than I expected, but this is my first FE. I have had numerous cars and hot rods with all sorts of different engines from Big block Chevy's to Olds 324s to a Scot blown Flathead, so I know my way around engines, but I do not consider myself an expert.
    I started reading on line (maybe the first start of my confusion!) I understand the early 1958 352 had solids but most had hydraulic lifters, I did not realize that? My car has adjustable rockers, but then I read some had adjustable rockers and hydraulics, is that true? I was also talking to a fellow that had some Skyliner parts for sale I was looking for, he owns a Skyliner and said he has had several, he highly doubted I had solid lifters, I respect his opinion, I sure don't know.

The car runs fine, and I would think if it had hydraulics, the lifters would pump up after warm up and change the sound of the rockers?
    I don't want to risk damaging anything so I thought I would try to reach out to some of you FE gurus out there and ask for advise. If I have adjustable rockers, could I have hydraulics? Any thing else I can check to see if I have solids vs hydraulics?
    I can always pull the manifold if I have to, but I have other things to tend to, so I would rather do it later if I can avoid this for now. Any input will be appreciated. Thank you!
    Last edited by Hotrodesigner; 11-14-2013 at 06:05 AM.

FE lifter's

My 58 is a early one & it had solid's.. I have figured out that if you take a push rod out the solid will measure 10 3/4 inch's long & the hydraulic push rod will measure aprox 9 1/2 inch's long...Hope this helps...Gregg!

Thumbs up 352 Lifters

Quote Originally Posted by skylinerman58 View Post
    My 58 is a early one & it had solid's.. I have figured out that if you take a push rod out the solid will measure 10 3/4 inch's long & the hydraulic push rod will measure aprox 9 1/2 inch's long...Hope this helps...Gregg!
    Gregg,

Great tip! thank you for your suggestion.

Chris

+ Reply to Thread