+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speedometer calibration

Speedometer calibration

Hi All The tires on my retract were replaced with radials. They measure 215-70-14.The originals were 800-14 if I recall. The speedometer is now (I think ) about 8 mph off. I guess I could get somebody to follow at a certain speed to get an accurate measure. The best thing would be to replace the trans gear. The one there now says #19. My question-- higher or lower teeth number ? Thanks Mr. Bill

The best way to determine how far your speedometer is off, is to check it with a GPS. As far as to the number of teeth in the speedometer gear, you did not indicate whether the speedometer reads higher or lower.

Hi The speedometer reads 33 mph when the car is moving 25 mph . Sorry I should have been more specific. Thanks for any input.

Since your speedometer is reading higher than you are traveling, it means your speedometer cable is turning to fast. To slow it down you need a gear with more teeth.

Hi I thank you very much . Mr.Bill

Mr. Bill,
    Are your radial tires wide WW? If so, where did you get them and at what price?

Yo from Narberth Pa. Sorry to be so long getting back. The tires were on the car when I got it 6 years ago. They are wide whites ,which I think really make the car look good. I'll read what the side wall says. B.F. Goodrich Silvertown radials. P-215-70- R 14 Some other numbers are 96 S M+S I have no idea what they mean. I did talk to one of the major tire people at Hershey in October. A different size was mentioned. I did not write down what he said because I have no plan to replace the tires any time soon. The tire really work well in my opinion. For judging of course they would be a deduction. I don't care . Hope this helps. Happy New Year Bill

+ Reply to Thread