+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I want to remove and paint my dashboard

I want to remove and paint my dashboard

Hello,
    Can someone give me advice on the best way to go about painting my dashboard. I would like to paint the dash plus the trims but I really dont know what the best way to go about it is.

I was tring to figure out how to remove the dashboard but everything looks a little complicated when you are upside down on the floor of the car.
    Any guidance would be great. Has someone greated a step by step check list of what to do?
    Finster

It is actually easier than it appears. 1st remove the steering column. 2nd remove all inside windshield garnish mldgs. You will now be able to see the upper dash mounting screws. 3rd unplug all wiring harness: Firewall, rear body, door jam switches, etc. 4th remove glove box. This allows access to heater & vent cables. 5th disconnect vent & heater cables at heater box & vent outlets. 6th unbolt dash as an assembly: Phillips screws at both ends of dash face on wrap-around, 2 hex bolts at both bottom corners, hex screws allong top. Dash is now ready to remove. With a 2nd person lift dash to remove hose from heater box to defroster. Now carefully remove dash. You may now dis-assemble & paint dash. Reverse procedure to re-install. I hope this helps.
    Bill

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look underneath again this week.
    Two questions for you:
    1. When you say unplug all wiring harnesses do you mean the main plug for each harness or each individual accessory etc.?
    2. How do I remove the steering column. This will be helpful because I want to paint that as well.

I would assume the tedious part is when you re-assemble to avoid scrathing it.

Thanks

You are correct, the main plug(s). Leave the dash harness on until the dash is out. To remove the column 1-remove the horn ring . Remove the steering wheel attaching nut (this will require a wheel puller). 2-disconnect the trans linckage under the hood (bottom of column). If the car is a manual trans, there will be 2 rods & clutch rod. 3-remove access plates under carpet, & remove spedo cable. 4- unplug turn signal switch under dash. Remove 2 bolts that hold column to dash. 5-pull up on column & rotate for shift lever(s) to clear thru floor. Hope this helps.
    Bill

1. The main plugs under the hood above the steering column and under the dash coming from the rear. There are others though that will need disconnecting such as those to the heater, steering column, etc.

2. Remove the gear indicator bezel. Remove the shift indicator. Remove the sheetmetal at the firewall. Remove the 2 screws that hold the column to the dash. Disconnect the transmission linkage, disconnect at the steering linkage and remove the 3 bolts from the frame. Pull inside the car to remove.

I did this on my '57 last winter. I removed the dash and took EVERYTHING off. I then sanded and repainted the dash and all of the interior metal trim. I found it was not necessary to take the steering column out. I took the steering wheel off and gutted the entire interior of the car. I then painted the steering column while still in place. I highly recommend that you take MULTIPLE digital pictures of every thing you disassemble and print the photos. Keep the relevant nuts, bolts, screws, etc. with the photos of that area. The photos will make your task so much easier!! I then re-chromed all of the chrome and replaced all worn knobs, instruments, etc with new ones. The car interior including the dash is now brand new and even has that "New Car Smell". Take your time...

+ Reply to Thread