+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Correct engine color for 59' 352?

Correct engine color for 59' 352?

Just pulled the engine in my 59 Skyliner, it is a 352 and was told that it is the original engine. After removing the transmission, I found the back of the engine was a metallic green..... is this right? What should be the correct engine, heads, and intake colors?

All 59 engines had a black block, heads & intake. 292 had red valve covers & air cleaner. 332 had green valve covers & air cleaner. 352 had blue valve covers & air cleaner. Hope this helps.
    Bill

thanks for the info!

What is the correct valve cover and aircleaner color for a 1958 4 barrel 352? Mine had black valve covers with black air cleaner? and it only had the Interceptor decal on the aircleaner, no 'Special' decal on the lower part of the top cover.

It sounds like you have a 332, not a 352. 58 332-green block, black valve covers & air cleaner. 58 352-blue block, black valve covers, white air cleaner. Additionally the 332 only had interceptor on the air cleaner. First digit of vin: B=332 2v g=332 4v h=352 4v. Hope this helps.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by WILLS RESTORATIONS View Post
    It sounds like you have a 332, not a 352. 58 332-green block, black valve covers & air cleaner. 58 352-blue block, black valve covers, white air cleaner. Additionally the 332 only had interceptor on the air cleaner. First digit of vin: B=332 2v g=332 4v h=352 4v. Hope this helps.
    Bill
    Thanks for the insight Bill, I guess I was might have been misinformed on my purchase. I just checked my vin, it does start with a 'G', so it is a 332.
    Thanks again!
    Chris
    Last edited by Hotrodesigner; 11-14-2013 at 08:21 PM.

According to my factory literature, the 332-4V is the Interceptor Special (along with the 352), the 332-2V is the "plain" Interceptor? Gary.

I have recently acquired a 59 with the 332 engine. It appears that the valve cover and intake are a kind of turquoise color. It seems that I've seen that color before in pictures, but based on the string above the 332 should be 'green'. I like the turquoise color - kind of makes it 'vintage' looking - but also don't know exactly what 'green' would be. Is there a color code by paint brand perhaps that would define the 'green' or even the 'turquoise'?
    Thanks,

That "turquoise color" is correct for the 332. I'm sure that's what Bill (Above) meant when he called it "green". It is certainly more green by comparison than the blue they used on the 352.
    The '59 body color was called Indian Turquoise if I remember correctly. I don't know if that is the same color used on the engine sheet metal.

Thanks for the great reply. Glad that it's correct for the 332. I did find this in another thread after sending this question.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-D.../dp/B00296DY8S
    I ordered a can so that I can test.

I'll also look up Indian Turquoise to see if I can find a reference to it.

BUTTTT, on another question related to the valve covers, when I got this '59 the previous owner had removed the 332 and installed a 390. I did get the original engine and can reinstall if I feel I want to. But interim I'm going to use the 390 (he only got it partially installed - so work yet to be done) and I have the option of using valve covers with stamped wording "Thunderbird" or ones with "Power by Ford".
    Any thoughts on which one would be 'more correct' (I realize the neither is exactly) ? Just asking opinion. thanks,

+ Reply to Thread