+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Freeze Plug Question

Another Freeze Plug Question

Hi, I see there are several questions already posted about freeze/core plugs on the big block (332cid) FE motors. I couldn't find the specific info I needed so I'm starting another thread...sorry.

I have a leaking freeze plug on my '59 Skyliner. Unfortunately, from what I can see, it is about halfway covered up by the driver's side motor-mount. I don't mind putting a rubber one in until sometime that I can replace them all with the correct metal ones. I just don't see anyway to do this job without removing the left side motor-mount.

If anyone has some advice about this problem, I sure would appreciate it. Also, the service manual says to jack up the engine to remove the 'isolation blocks'. Where can I safely jack the engine from below without damaging anything?

Thanks for any help/advice.

The "isolation blocks" are the front motor mounts. You are correct, you must remove the left motor mount. I usually use a wood block on a floor jack to lift the engine, lifting along the oil pan mounting surface near/behind the vibration damper. You can also use an engine crane to lift from above. Only lift one side at a time, thus the opposite mount becomes the pivot point. Remove the bottom mount bolt, then lift the engine. Block the engine, usually between the exhaust manifold and upper a-arm. When you are absolutely sure the engine won't drop, you can safely remove the mount from the block. (you did remember to drain the radiator?) pry out the remainder of the freeze plug, clean up the hole, insert the new freeze plug.
    I hope this helps.
    Bill

Bill, Thank you very much for the detailed reply. That helps me a lot. I do not have any sort of cherry-picker/engine hoist, so I'm stuck with jacking from underneath. Whether or not I remember to drain the coolant first remains to be seen!
    Once I see how much swinging room I have and how accessible the other freeze plugs are, I will decide whether to try to replace them all with metal (brass?) plugs or just replace the leaky plug with a rubber one.

Thanks again,

Clark

+ Reply to Thread