+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roof Relay Replacement

Roof Relay Replacement

I wish to replace all 10 of the roof relays in my 59 Skyliner. Can anyone advise where the best place to purchase these is? Intent is to puchase something that is a direct replacement so as will fit in the original enclosure while keeping cost to a minimum. Thanks.

Warren

I have 8 to 10 original relays if you need them. I think that would be better than trying to find replacements and certainly cost quite a bit less. Why do you want to replace them? Are you missing some or all of them? Generally, they are pretty reliable.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I have a couple of relays which are not performing well. They pull in OK however have some sort of high resistance thru the main contacts and work intermittently. If I am going to replace a couple, I'd rather replace the lot... maybe overkill, but once replaced I can eliminate them all from any future issues. I have a mate who has a T Bird who replaced all of his and the improvement in the top function was considerable...

Hey Mike,

I have sent you a PM re this...

I saw your post in December of 2012 stating that you have some original relays. Do you still have any of these available? I just acquired a 59 Skyliner that had been in storage for over seven years and I am having quite a time getting the top to work properly.

I have made brand new repros. They look exactly the same and fit just the same. $400 for the set of 10 or $50 each.
    I have sold many and no issues yet.

Look at the original setup still in the box and the new one in front, no difference at all.

I'm new to this, but how do you test the originals to determine if they are bad?

Ground the solenoids, or the whole box of 10. Then try each one with 12V power to the one small terminal on the top.
    When power is applied, you will hear a click, the solenoids will allow power through the 2 large terminals.

The issue is, they either get burned out and don't work, or get corroded inside and though they do click, there is too much resistance between the two large terminals inside the solenoid and the motors don't get enough power.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much, that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyliner Downunder View Post
    I wish to replace all 10 of the roof relays in my 59 Skyliner. Can anyone advise where the best place to purchase these is? Intent is to puchase something that is a direct replacement so as will fit in the original enclosure while keeping cost to a minimum. Thanks.

Warren
    Your relays are most likely ok. I have replaced only about 4 original relays in 30 some years of repairing these tops. If you ever needed one, NAPA auto parts has the exact one for this car. The # is ST82. They are a basic start relays and are virtually bullet proof. The one most likely to not stay closed is the roof retract relay because the control circuit has to go through 10 switches to get to the small control terminal on that relay-ref pg 15 fig 12 in the 57 Ford retractable hardtop shop manual. One or more of the switches may not be set correctly or you could have voltage drop through one or more switches. IFRC tech advisor, Wayne

+ Reply to Thread