+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine sluggish

Engine sluggish

I have a 1959 Skyliner with a 352 4 barrell.

As time goes on this Summer it seems my car is getting slower and slower. The problem I have is that the acceleration is getting more sluggish and somethimes I feel a need to downshift the automatic just to get a little more bite.

I might have a slight exhaust leak - would this make it worse?

It doesn't matter how far down you puch the accelerator it just goes slow.

I thought taking it out on a cold night might make the difference but the sluggish perfomance continues.

Thanks in advance.

Several things could be causing your problem: Carburation-choke sticking shut, bad accelerator pump, bad power valve, blocked fuel filter. Ignition-bad points +/or condensor, leaking vacuum advance, stuck centrifical advance. Bad fuel pump or leak in fuel line. Transmission-slipping clutches, weak pump. If it is a cruise-o-matic, are you driving in d1 or d2? When it loses power-is there black smoke coming from the exhaust? Does the engine start missing? Does the engine rev but the car does not accelerate? I hope this helps.
    Bill

Thanks for your response.

I have a Cruise-o-matic. The engine does not rev when I step on the accelerator. The engine starts to accelerate but does it at a VERY slow pace. I am in D1 I believe. I do it so much I cant remember but its the second from the right where it used to give more rpm's before switchig to third gear. The engine just takes a long time to get up the RPM's and it takes a long time to accelerate. Anoter words - there used to be a lot more bite when I would accelerate and now its a toothless - slow climb to 65mph with no growl.

Any advice would be welcomed.

You mentioned an exhaust leak. Is the hest riser valve opening or is it stuck shut? If the valve is open, go next to the carburator. Is the choke opening? If the choke is opening, next check the accelerator pump. With the engine off, look down the carb throat while working the accerator linkage, there should be a squirt of gas in each primary. If no squirt, bad accelerator pump. Try these then let me know.
    Bill

Thanks. Looks like the accelerator pump is fine. The gas is being fed properly and I opened up and checked the pump/membrane - looks nice and clean.

I found where the exhaust leak is coming from - the exhaust manifold. Looks like I either have a small crack or I just need to replace the gasket. That solves that problem

I still cant figure why the engine has absolutely no bit to it. It used to have great pick up and now its just so sluggish - no acceleration.

Any otehr ideas are welcomed.

Check the inside of the tailpipes. Are they grey or black? If grey, the fuel mixture is ok. If black, the mixture is too rich: The power valve is most likely leaking & needs replaced. Is the fuel filter plugged? Could there be a pinhole in the fuel line from the tank to the pump or is the pump itself weak. Any of these will cause it to lean out under acceration, there-by starving for fuel. Next check the distributor. Is the point gap correct? Do the points & condensor need replaced?
    Is the distributor shaft wobbly or tight? Look closely at the distributor cam lobes. Each lobe should come to a point & they should all be even. Are they worn?
    Try these then let me know.
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread