+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Automatic transmission oil Type ??

Automatic transmission oil Type ??

Hi all I've heard conflicting answers about Trans oil, What should I be using in my 1958. Is Mercon O.K. How about Dexron, or Type F . Thanks Bill

I use type F in my '57, and have for 20 years with no issues.
    Harry W
    (Penn Allegheny, East Coast, Buckeye Chapters)
    It's a dry heat!

Hi Thanks for the info . I got stuck in a traffic jam ,a while back and the trans seemed to boil over.all I could find was dexron. I added perhaps 2 quarts. Well danged if it didn't happen again this past saturday. Probably a 100 hundred car funeral procession passing by. A very hot afternoon. It appears to be about a quart low again. I shall rememer to use Type F. from now on. The car seemed to be O.K. after using the dexron.We made it home both days, but I wanta do the right thing. Bill Thanks again. East coast chapter.

Bill
    it is unlikely you did any damage with dexron. Many i have talked with say that dexron is actually closer to type a(original eq.) than type f. However, like harry, i have used type f for 30 years. It is thicker, and to me, on a classic car thicker is better. Last summer, driving home from the nationals, (100 degrees) my car car overheated and puked it's fluid. I installed an aftermarket trans cooler to help with the problem in the future. Good luck.
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread