+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power Steering Dead Spot

Power Steering Dead Spot

I'm posting this question for an IFRC member who isn't comfortable with using a forum.

Here is the problem as described to me:

The member replaced his '59 power steering unit with a remanufactured unit. When at a stop and he turns wheels left and back to the middle or right and back to the middle there is a spot about in the center where he has no power steering. After turning past the "dead spot" he again has power steering. If the car is moving, even very slowly, there is no "dead spot". It has done this ever since he replaced the power steering unit a couple of years ago.

What could cause this, and how can it be fixed?

Thanks,

Jeff

I would examine the steering valve as it is what allows high pressure to enter the steering cylinder.

I agree. The problem has to be in the control valve. When you say he replaced the p.s. Unit, do you mean the pump, the slave cylander, the control valve, or all three? If the valve was replaced, i would check if it is still under a warranty.
    Bill

Control valve

Quote Originally Posted by WILLS RESTORATIONS View Post
    I agree. The problem has to be in the control valve. When you say he replaced the p.s. Unit, do you mean the pump, the slave cylander, the control valve, or all three? If the valve was replaced, i would check if it is still under a warranty.
    Bill
    Bill, I had jerry lasinge send me a second control valve and it did not change anything. I bought a complete system from him. tx leonard b.

Leonard,
    what dave said is completely correct, the valve controls high pressure into the cylander. To create a dead spot something has to be stopping or decreasing pressure at that point. Have you tried turning the wheels with the tires off the ground? Watch the cylander as someone else turns the wheel. What happens at the cylander and or linckages when the dead spot occurs? Does a momentary leak occur? Is something binding? Is there a kink or blockage in one of the hoses? I hope this helps.
    Bill

jack up car . look for Old lower ball joints
    to give you a problem with your complaint
    Last edited by silverbird58; 04-09-2018 at 09:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread