+ Reply to Thread

Thread: President Eisenhower's Skyliner

President Eisenhower's Skyliner

I've been trying to find out information about President Eisenhower's black 1957 Skyliner that he either bought or was presented to him by Ford. It was either the first or one of the first that ever rolled off of the assembly line apparently. Does anyone know what happened to it? There's almost no information for it anywhere online.

Great question Mike This has been a mystery for 50+years . Where this car ended up ? It's almost like the song CLASS OF 57 HAD IT"S DREAMS. One line in song is WHERE MAVIS ENDED UP IS ANYBODIES GUESS . Retractable members have been singing same tune about this car since early 1970s . If it ever shows up WOW ! I want to buy it .

Smile for what it's worht

A gentleman who belongs to the IFRC (Retractable Ralph) did a lot of reseach on this subject several years ago. Raplh writes or at least use to write articles for several car magazines. I believe he even receivd a letter from Mamie Eisenhower concerning this car. At that time they could not accept gifts so it evetnually the car went to an aid where somehow the car ended up in Europe and that is where they lost track of it. More than likely ti ended up being melted down, etc. I believe Raplh said the only modification to the car was hand rails on the back floor for secret service personell to stand up. This is a quick reply "Retractable Raplh" talked to us at a convention several years ago for hours about this. Very interesting man.
    Joe W('59fliptop)

Thanks for the information Joe W 59fliptop .

The December, 2011 issue of the IFRC Skyliner magazine had Retractable Ralphs write up on pp 20 & 21
    Harry W
    (Penn Allegheny, East Coast, Buckeye Chapters)
    It's a dry heat!

any vin number on this vehicle? or Ideal where it was made

When ben smith was working on his book, those of us that were on the board were granted access to ford motor archives. The eisenhower car was part of our specific research. We found that ownership of the car was retained by ford motor. When ike left office, ford took posession of the car and sold it off at auction. It was built at dearborn assy but we were never able to locate a vin.
    Bill

thanks, interesting story wonder if it will ever be found

Regarding the recent Skyliner article on the Eisenhower Retractable, we are sorry to report that the author, "Retractable Ralph" Causley, passed away on January 25, 2013. He was an avid supporter of the IFRC and the Penn-Allegheny Chapter. He will be missed by all who had the privilege of knowing him.
    Last edited by Harry W; 02-21-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Harry W
    (Penn Allegheny, East Coast, Buckeye Chapters)
    It's a dry heat!

better ask Smithsonian Inst .
    i'd like to know where the Black 57 bobby Darrin Drove in that movie he made
    Or the one Ramond Burr or Barbra hale , drove around .

+ Reply to Thread