+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Judging Clarification Undercarrage

Judging Clarification Undercarrage

In the restoration guide, it says that the under body color is the same as the car (semi-gloss or gloss black, lime green primer or a light layer of undercoating is acceptable.) and the judging form says deduct 10 points for cleanliness, rusty, over spray or excess undercoat. Question: What is considered excess undercoating? Does this mean that part of the undercarriage is undercoated or does it mean the complete body undercarriage (not the frame) can be undercoated? Or does this mean thick blobs etc. So if the undercarriage is completely done with undercoating and it meets the cleanliness, rusty, there will be no deduction in points? Of course it will be black but originally when the underbody was painted? My complete underbody has undercoating except for the frame. Not sure if I should remove all of it and then paint or just re-undercoat in black? Any help with my confusion on this judging rule would be most appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

It is correct to have undercoating. Jim Osborn reproductions publishes a reproduction of the Body, Trim & Sealant assembly manual and in there you will find the factory assembly instructions including sound deadener. Although many do not undercoat their cars when doing frame off restorations ( myself included ) some is recommended. The inside top of the front fenders need to be undercoated to prevent a rocks kicked up from tires from dinging outward the top of the front fenders.

+ Reply to Thread