+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sitting and Rotting

Sitting and Rotting

I stole this thread from another forum, but I’m sure it could be a hit here to.

Here is the first pick, stolen from the internet,,,,.

Here are a few 57 & 58's found in North Dakota.

Attachment 125 Attachment 126

Another one,,

Found some more picks,

Cool pictures. Makes you wonder what stories these dinosaurs could tell if they came alive for a day. /Peter.

I could use the stainless trim piece on that left side 'jet-tube' on the '59...Wonder where it is?

I’m waiting for the history of this car,,

Stolen from the internet, but I have told the owner about it. We have to wait and see,,

Last edited by Lars-57; 03-04-2012 at 04:58 AM.

59 Skyliner rescue in Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Lars-57 View Post
    I’m waiting for the history of this car,,Stolen from the internet, but I have told the owner about it. We have to wait and see,,
    Here is a repost from the AACA forums of when I finally got my dream car that I have longed for since I was 14, Let's just say my Skyliner is older than I am. I hope you enjoy iy as much as I did experiencing it...

September 25th, 2007
    You may or may not remember me speaking of about one of my dream cars. That being a Ford Skyliner and trying to buy one near me. I have been trying to buy it for 10 years now. I would stop by once or twice a year if I saw him outside sometimes. It took me 3 years to get him to answer the door, 6 to have any sort of conversation (never about the car) and about 8 to get his phone number. I had never gotten any sort of call back. he is a nice guy, but very private with MANY cats.

For the last 2 weeks I have been working on a '57 2 door Fairlane body off resto at a shop I work at part time. Maybe that is what sparked it. I just could not get the retractable off my mind. It kept me awake sometimes.

Last Sunday, w/o plans I stopped by his place and knocked on the door expecting the usual silence. He answered the door! After 4 hours of talking about a lot of things (only about 20 mins on the car) he allowed me to look inside and we talked about how we would get it out of it's long time parking spot (since 1991) and touched on a price.

Earlier tonight he called me and to make a long story short, I will be going Sunday to load up my new 1959 Skyliner!!!! [img]<>/grin.gif[/img] [img]<>/grin.gif[/img] [img]<>/grin.gif[/img] [img]<>/grin.gif[/img] [img]<>/grin.gif[/img] [img]<>/grin.gif[/img] I have dreamed of owning once since I was 14. (I won't say how long that is ) Supposed to run, only needing a differential. White with blue interior. After I pick her up, I'll post some photos.

Is there any advice on trying to operate the top for the 1st time? (since 1991 or so) Things to look at or any advice? Once all fluids are changed, tune-up, carb rebuild, belts, hoses changed and brakes are up to snuff, I plan on driving her as is for a while until I can afford to do it right.

OK guys, here's the pix of the '59. I went and picked her up today!!!!!!!! Only a 4" section of rust at the bottom of the LF fender which has a dent and will get replaced eventually. Everything works except radio and top (I believe a solenoid in the deck up mode is out) Needs a differential and oddly enough, the carpet is missing. She is cleaning up nicely so far. I have not even begun the process to start it, but the motor is free.

It's a 352cid, Cruise-O-matic, 3.10:1 diff, Built 4-16-59 in Kansas City. PS/PB car but does not have AC, Power windows or seats.

Wow, I can hardly believe I finally have my dream car and it's really a nice car especially for spending at least 17 years outside and probably closer to 25+.

I think I'll name her "Patience"

October 1st, 2007
    I am very impressed how well this car survived 17+ years outside. The trees helped shade it and the cardboard in the windows was a big help too. The plastic white dash buttons are very brittle from the ozone, but the seats clean up almost as new.

We get our fair share of snow on the plains too. Last winter we had 5 official blizzards and almost 10 storms that left measurable snow. That is a heavy winter but not unusual.

In Colorado it is rare to find any place that uses salt. Even in the few places that did years ago, they didn't use much like out east. We mostly use sand and learn how to drive in the snow. [img]<>/smile.gif[/img]

They now use a liquid chemical that gets put on before the snow drops that prevents roads from freezing and the snow sticking. That allegedly does not corrode but I'll tell ya that it is a pain to remove if you don't keep your car clean in the winter.

She's in there! The car was mostly surrounded by brush. We cut down 2 small trees to get her out.

After some trimming....

Right side exposed...

Meet Len, the previous owner.

What a great story! Congratulations!

Capt. John, Is that you? It's Gary from Syracuse,NY. I read on the Amphicar forum awhile back that you have a Skyliner, I've wanted to contact you about it, but time just slips by. Two of the cars in the collection I maintain are Skyliners. A red '59 (restored several years ago, a real nice driver), and a '58 which is almost ready for the paint booth. Congrats on your purchase and the pictures are great! C'mon Spring!

Gary.

+ Reply to Thread